If you ask a mom with an older baby what you should buy a new mom, she would probably say nappies and wet wipes, there just never seem to be enough of those when you have a baby. While these may be practical gifts, we have put together a list of meaningful and useful gifts you can buy for the new mom.
1.Books – if you know what the mom’s favourite books were growing up, try to find copies of those books otherwise pick out classics that the baby can keep as they grow up.
2. A birth or newborn photo shoot – this is such a special gift and will allow the new parents to capture the memories of the birth of their baby or those first few days.
3. A thermometer – this is not a pretty or very cute gift idea but the new mom will be very grateful for it. This really is a must have in any household with a child.
4. Plain babygrows – babies need to be changed more often than you realise and while cute outfits are awesome, having stock of plain babygrows will come in very handy. When buying make sure you take the season baby will be born in into account.
5. A sling/wrap or other baby carrier – babywearing has so many benefits and can make life with a new born much easier for both mom and baby.
6. Receiving blankets – you can never have too many of these blankets. They come in so handy to cover changing mats, or as a breastfeeding cover or sun shield so the more the better.
Don’t forget about mom when you are putting a gift together. The following items are for mom specifically.
7. Nipple cream – this is a must-have item for all new moms.
8. A pedicure voucher – the first few days/weeks after baby are life changing and exhausting. Offer to babysit baby for an hour or two and let mom go get her nails done.
9. A name ring/bracelet – once baby is born or if mom is happy to share baby’s name, you can get their name engraved onto a ring or bracelet. There are some very sweet options for this.
10. Support. Even if you are not a mom you can still offer the new mom support and help if she needs it. Often this is what new moms really need the most.
What did you receive at your baby shower that you couldn’t have lived without?